About Red Tales

Here's an evolving electronic collection of short prose pieces, with a poem contributed occasionally. Brevity guides. Although sometimes a piece will run to 900 words, most pieces are much shorter. Here one may find erotica, flash fiction, brief observations, and modest improvisations. Another rule is that each piece must have something to do with"red"; at least the word has to appear in each piece functionally. . . . All pieces are numbered and titled, so there's a de facto table of contents running down the rail below, under "Labels" (scroll down a bit). Browse for titles that look interesting, if you like. Thank you for stopping by. Look for some red today, tonight.

"Flaming June," by Frederick Lord Leighton

"Flaming June," by Frederick Lord Leighton

Monday, August 25, 2008

15. Care

Red City is, as you probably have already guessed, not red, at least not in obvious ways. None of the buildings is red, nor is red an official municipal color. Indeed, Red City gives the impression of being blue, gray, white, and green.

Nonetheless, there are stout and good reasons why Red City is so named. I cannot report these reasons to you because I have not discovered them. I believe my research takes me ever closer, however, to discovering the truths of Red City. As you have probably already guessed, Red City has become something of an obsession with me.

Let me say simply that I believe the great book about Red City has yet to have been written. Let me humbly add that I believe I have called to write that book.

That I can even express such beliefs--and express them so clearly--is a credit to the care I have received from the doctors here, where, from my window, I can see a red light pulsing at the top of a steel tower.

No comments: